Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Insider Principle

Last week I wrote about Gee's Principles, and I figured that I would stick with the same theme for this week's post. The principle I wanted to talk about this week is "The Insider Principle", which states that the learner is an insider, teacher and producer.... not just a consumer and that they are able to customize their learning experience and domain/game from the beginning and throughout the experience.

My experience playing NBA2k10 is unique and personal to me. Each person who plays the game derives their own personal life lessons and educational values. In some sense, my fate and my learning experience was determined at the startup screen when I customized the settings of my dynasty and my team. If I had selected to remove the injuries option during simulation, I wouldn't have had to experience the frustration of simulating a series of games without a pop up screen stopping my simulation. Additionally, my learning experienced would have been altered had I picked the Los Angeles Lakers or Oklahoma City Thunder instead of my beloved team. Hypothetically, had I chosen the Los Angeles Lakers, my learning experience would have been greatly different because their roster was incredible and I would have been able to simulate a season and offseason without the difficulties of financial problems and losing. Further, had I elected to be the Thunder, I may have struggled in the preliminary season but the youth on my team would naturally progress over time without having to worry about finances, team chemistry, or trading.

While the NBA2k game itself is the same for everyone who purchases it, everyones playing experience is greatly different. No two people have played the exact same game, made the exact same trade, or drafted the same exact player. Thus, when we progress our teams and make basic decisions in the game we are customizing our own learning experience. Just like my trade that I talked about last week in acquiring Kobe Bryant, had I not made that trade I wouldn't have learned the importance of team chemistry and synergy.

No comments:

Post a Comment