Sunday, March 14, 2010

Reaching the Plateau

I don't know whether it was spring break or the break from posting but for some reason I feel like my interest in playing NBA 2k10 is beginning to fade. This made me start questioning myself. Did I exhaust myself by playing so much from the very beginning? Have I learned everything that the game could possibly teach me? Is it possible that I will never reach the same excitement level that I did when I played the game for the very first time?

As I sit and think about these questions, I have come to the conclusion that my boredom is a product of my game selection. Role player games appear to be better for extended periods of playing time because new levels and feats are unlocked as players reach new goals and accomplishments. Maybe my game playing experience would increase at this point if I set new goals for myself. Maybe the fact that I have so much control over game simulation that I have come to terms with mediocrity. If set goals for myself, I will be forced to play more games and simulate less, which may provide a new excitement and spark things up. After all, motiving oneself can be a seemingly impossible task without a destination in mind.

In order to test my hypothesis, I took a break from my Chicago Bulls franchise and begin playing a single player career. I thought that if I had to control one player (myself) versus an entire team, I might be more dedicated and passionate about playing. I don't know if it's because I am playing the game as myself or if the game mode is more appealing but the single player career mode has been much more entertaining and pleasing. In the next few days, I'll be sure to switch back to my beloved Bulls in the hopes of winning our first NBA championship.

No comments:

Post a Comment