Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Starting Over

So last week I talked about my struggles and boredom with the game. Instead of continuing my helpless dynasty, I decided to start fresh using the information that I learned from playing the game the first time around. I stuck with the same team (the Chicago Bulls) and used real life information such as salaries, prospective free agents, and expiring contracts as the basis of my strategy. When I picked my team, I immediately shed as much salary as I possibly could. I decided that I would sacrifice one winning season to obtain a high draft pick and make a run a premier free agent such as Lebron James, Dwayne Wade or Chris Bosh. My lackluster season earned me the first pick in the entire draft, and through the trade wire, I was able to obtain the second pick in the draft as well. I selected a shooting guard from Greece, and a power forward from Syracuse. After the draft, I had a glaring hole at Small Forward and 45 million dollars in cap room to work with. Fortunately enough for me, Lebron James couldn't resist the money and opportunity to play in a large city such as Chicago. After the first day of free agency, my starting lineup was Derrick Rose, Lebron James, Johkim Noah, and my two prized rookies.

Having the rookies play alongside 3 veteran players has boded exceptionally well for my team. While they are still young and make youthful mistakes, they are progressing nicely with the veteran leadership. The two things that I am doing better this time around is playing more games and simulating less, and saving more salary for role players on the bench. I noticed that players get tired very easily in the game and every team needs strong bench players to carry the load when the starters have to come out of the game.

I am finding that since I have more experience playing the game, I am enjoying the game much more the second time around because I am learning from my mistakes. Learning from your mistakes is probably the most essential part of playing video games because the game doesn't change. Levels and conclusions are predetermined in virtually every game. Thus, in order to keep progressing, we need to learn from our mistakes and correct them. One might ask, how are sports games predetermined if every game can result in either a win or a loss? While wins and losses certainly aren't predetermined, winning a championship and having a successful dynasty requires a particular formula that I am just beginning to uncover. Hopefully in my next blog post I can fill everyone in on some new keys to success that I will have learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment